Re: Help:Regarding the name of the location and place

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 16, 2000

Dear friend:
I present below excerpts from Chapter 21 of my book "Hinduism Rediscovered"
(archived at www.srivaishnava.org/sgati- SDDS Volume 2.15 to 2.20)dealing
with your doubt. Hope this helps.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
The Sankalpa which every Hindu makes  while initiating any religious
practice, invariably  refers to the exact locale where the rite is performed
with reference to the Hindu Cosmology.
( e.g.) In India,  the locale part of the  Sankalpa would be as follows :
Jambudveepe                          In the isle of the rose apple
Bharata Varshe                       In the region called Bharata Varsha
Bharatah Khande                      In the continent of Bharata etc.

Those doing  the rites in the U.S.A, adopt the same as follows:-
Ramanaka Varshe                    In the  region called Ramanaka Varsha
Aindra Khande                      In the continent called Aindra
Rocky - mickelny Parvatayor Madhye : Between the mountains of Rockey and
Mickelny Misissipi- Missouri Ityadhi Aneka Shodasa Jeeva  Nadeenam sameepa
stite  : the place that is surrounded  by such perenniel rivers like
Mississipi , Missouri and  16 other rivers

It may be noticed that any rituals which a Hindu performs  on auspicious as
well as inauspicious occasions always start with a fixation of the precise
time, the star, the day, the Thithi, the fortnight, the month, the season,
the half year , and the year on the micro side as also the quarter of the
yuga,  the name of the yuga , the name of the  cycle, the Manvantara,  and
the Kalpa  on the Macro side. In fact, orthodox Hindus do this reckoning
daily in their 'Nitya karma Anushtana' the daily routine Puja ( honouring)
of their Ishtadevata. In this way the formula for describing the exact time
in the eternal cycle has been passed on from generation to generation. This
is what we call the "Sankalpa' before commencing any rituals. This is also
true of fixation of the exact location where the ritual is performed.as
already discussed  in the   'Section on ' Space'.
Now, let us have a look at this Sankalpa: It goes on like this:
Dviteeya parardhe                   In the second half of Brahma's life
Svetavaraha Kalpe                   In the Kalpa of Sveta Varaha
Vaivaswatha Manvantare              In the reign of Vaivaswatha Manu
Ashta Vimsati me                    within the 28th cycle
Kali Yuge                           In the Kali yuga
Prathame Pade                       In the first quarter thereof

Then, the Sankalpa refers to the  geographical position of the place where
the ritual is performed. and this has been explained in the section on
'Space'. Resuming the reference to time, the Sankalpa proceeds further as
follows:-
Asmin Varthamane Vyavaharike      :In the current period now proceeding
Prabavadi Shashti Samvatsaranam Madye :Among the cycle of 60 years starting
from Prabhava
......... Nama Samvatsare:       in the year named..........
Dakshinayane or Uttarayane:in the Soutern/ Northern movement of the Sun
...........Ritou: in the season named.......
Mase:        in the month of...........
............Pakshe:       in the bright / dark fortnight  thereof
............Punya Thithou:in this holy Thithi numbered........
.............Vasara uktayam: on the day called.........
..............Nakshatra uktayam: when the star called.........holds sway
Then, the Sankalpa proceeds to say that the ritual called..............is
performed for the pleasure of the Lord.