Re: Should we suppress our thoughts.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 27, 1999

Harikrishna VJ wrote:

> Hi,
> This question has been bothering me for quite some time now.
>
> why is it necessary that a person has to follow a particular
> "philososphy"(say for eg:vishistadvaita) to seek the ultimate  ("God").Or if
> I put the same question in a different manner,How does ones thinking (
> "philosophy") affect his/her attempts towards finding God.

Being raised either in the West or under the
umbrella of Western rationalism, we come to
understand that philosophy and religion can and
often do exist independently.  From the ethics of
Kant to the Existentialism of Kaufka, one
discovers philosophical treatises and
contemplations that seem far removed from much of
the Judao-Christian ideals of their proponents.
And, interestingly, there are many philosophies
that are created simply for philosophy's sake.

But, standing in firm contradistinction to this,
much of Eastern thought, and particularly vEdAntic
thought, is established on the premise that the
chief purpose of philosophical inquiry is to
validate a specific religious practice or
spiritual experience. Therefore, vishistAdvaitam
becomes more than just an intellectual experiment,
but actually serves as the key to understanding
the ritualistic and devotional experience of
SriVaishnavam, just as dvaitam is the key to
understanding the Madhva Vaishnava traditions,
etc. Hence, to adhere to the principles and
practice of one specific vEdic religion is to
certainly subscribe to its associated philosophy.

I hope this helps.

adiyEn,

Mohan