Re: Question on nAcciyAr tirumozhi VIII - viNNIla mElAppu 6 posting

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 24, 1999

Dear Sri Raghu : ViLAm Pazham is  called wood apple
in English .It has a hard cover like wood and in fact ,
when the contents inside are drained out , it serves as
a nice container for Sri ChUrNam and the like .

Ripe ViLAm Pazham has to be cracked open and
the inside contains a delightful content for
eating .Some times it is mixed with brown sugar
to enhance its natural tartish sweetness .

Since the skin (casing )of the wood apple fruit is so
tough , no bee or ant or any other fruit eating insect
can get in .The fruit is thus protected except from
the ulan~gu .Latter enters in its own subtle manner and
drains all the essence of the fruit and leaves only an empty
shell of a ViLAM Pazham .Although it may appear as
though the Lord is being equated here to a fruit mosquito ,
the emphasis is on the subtle ways in which the Lord as BhOkthA
( please refer to the postings of today by Sri N.KrishNamAchAri
on the Lord's naamam , BhOkthA )enjoys communion with his BhakthAs.
V.Sadagopan