Re: Digest bhakti.v003.n383

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 23, 1999

		V. Srimahavishnu, M.Tech (Structures)
		 	C - 211 , Hall - IV
		       I.I.T. Kanpur - 208 016
          		     INDIA
                        Email : vsri@iitk.ac.in
				s.vinjamuri@mailcity.com

On Sat, 22 May 1999 Smt Sugantha Jagannthan wrote:

> What is the meaning of  Suklaam bharatharam vishnum.Does the first two
> verses of sahasranamam refer to lord vinayaga or vishnu.Some people say that
> Suklam baratharam vishnum stotram refers to ganesa

      Dear Smt Sugantha,

               namaskArams.

         I have seen many people pronouncing it as "ShuklAm baradharam". But it
 is to be pronounced as "SuklAmbaradharam". Here SuklAmbaram means white
 clothing. As most of us know, ShuklA is a typical UP brahmin name and
there is no god ShuklA who is also "baradharan"!

       Now it does not refer to GaNESa in SV prayers. It refers to
VishvaksEna, the commander-in-chief of BhagavAn.The very second SlOka
before starting VSN pArAyaNam says "yasyadvirada vaktrAdyAh" which refers
to a dviradavaktra or elephant-headed nitya sUri called gajavaktran with
two teeth. On the other hand, VinAyaka is Ekadantan.

                                                adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
                                                  V.Srimahavishnu