(no subject)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 4, 1999

Dear Devotees:

Here is a posting that appeared some time ago:

--------------- MESSAGE bhakti.v003.n301.1 ---------------

> From: Anand Karalapakkam
> Subject: Re: Origins of the Jiiva
> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:06:41 -0500

>   This reminds adiyEn of the debate between Srimad Injimettu
>   Azhagiyasingar (42nd pattam) and Sri SathyAnanda theertar, the
>    madhva matAdhipati of Udipi mutt. This debate was held in front of the
>    ranganAchchiyAr sannidhi at Srirangam. Many vidvAns representing
>   dwaita were present. Injimettu Azhagiyasingar won the debate and
>    firmly established that the theory of "AnandatAratamya" is not
>    supported by sAstrAs. Sri SathyAnanda theerthar himself accepted
>    the defeat and out of his own will, gave it in writing also. This was
>    infact published in the news paper of those times.
>
> adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
> ananthapadmanAbha dAsan
> krishNArpaNam

I checked with allmost all the madhwa mutts and many scholars over these
past months regarding the said debate.  There is no madhwa swamiji by name
Sri SathyAnanda theerta who lived in 1900s.  Usually, Uttaraya mutt has
swamijis with name begining with Sathya.  There was one Sri SathyAnanda
theerta who lived in 1600s.  So the name and time frame do not match.

Hare Srinivasa

Shobha Srinivasan