Re: Raamaayana question

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 5, 1998

> From: Krishna Susarla

> I was wondering if anyone could confirm the above, that the Maya-Sita is
the
> same as Padmaavathi.

The sthala purAnam of how ThiruvenkatamudayAn came to earth does confirm
the story in question.  Indeed, it is said that the Lord used a promise to
"Maya Sita" that he would marry her in remittance for her suffering in
Lanka as the vyAjam to descend to earth.  However, Alamelmanga ThayAr is
considered to be part of (amsa) of Sri Herself (as is Maya-Sita), so really
no distinction is made between Sri and Padmavathi among traditional bhaktas
of Srinivasan.

> Also, can anyone tell me when Lord Venkateshwara was supposed to have
> appeared on Earth?

I am not sure on this, for there is no mention of a specific time of the
Lord's avathAran in any of the books that I have read.  But according to
popular belief, the Lord came to earth soon after the start of kaliyugam
and will remain until the end of it. Perhaps, some of the more erudite
among our group answer this part of the question in more detail.

adiyEn,

Mohan