Re: Some thoughts on Bhakti Group

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 1, 1998

Lakshmanan, Gopaul (Gopaul)** CTR ** wrote:

> [...]
> achArya Bhakti paripUtamanarGha Sheelam
> Gopala Desika Munim GurumAshrayAma:
>
> Dear Sri Vaishanvaites:
>
> In my humble opinion, this forum is something like "Sanka Palagai".  Unworthy
> postings may vaporize and will be lost in cyberspace like the unworthy works
> of poets which will not stay on the "Sanka Palagai" only to be drowned.  With
> that in mind and with a little trepidation, I place the following few lines.
>
> The writings of all learned Bhaghavataas has infused lot of Sri Vaishnavam
> related thoughts in us - how to be a Sri Vaishanava and so on.  My wife and I
> have learnt considerably in the last few months since we started subscribing
> to the Bhakti Group.
>
> We are very grateful to Sri MadhavaKannan and Dr.Sadagopan especially.  I
> have a friend who has lot of respect for Sri Chakravarthy
> Rajagopalachariar(Rajaji, the first Governor General of Free India).  When
> some prominent person has passed away and comments about that person are
> printed in the (HINDU) newspaper, he would always look for Sri Rajaji's
> comments first since Sri Rajaji's opinion of the deceased would always be
> exact and truthful, unique in his perspective.  In a similar manner, as soon
> as I see that I have mail from the Bhakti Group, I first look to see and read
> what Sri. MadhavaKannan has written on that day.  I read it first (sorry Dr.
> Sadagopan and others - no disrespect) and then read the rest of the mail.
>
> The MahaKalyanams of Divya Dampathi's - SITA RAMA KALYANAM and ANDAL KALYANAM
> were celebrated in grand style on April 18 at Livingston by Sri Ranganatha
> Seva Samithi. In addition to the normal Kalyana proceedings there was
> procession of the idols.  The idols were taken out and placed on Unjal.
> Devotional songs were sung when the Gods were enjoying the gentle sway of the
> swing.  There was also "pidi sutharathu" (throwing of colored rice after
> "drushti pidikkarathhu") by sumangalis.  The Divya Dampathis were entertained
> to song and dance after the marriage by adults and some talented youngsters.
> Dr.Sadagopan's writings on the marriage ceremony was a delightful guide in
> understanding the proceedings of the divine weddings.
>
> We were very fortunate to hear a lucid lecture on "Philosophy of Alwaars" by
> Dr. S.M.S. Chari last Sunday, April 26th at Dr. M.G. Prasad's house.  We
> understand he is in California and those of you out there in the west should
> arrange to hear him speak and not miss an opportunity to meet with this
> learned person.  Speaking with Srimathi Chari after the lecture, we learnt
> that the Charis have visited all the Divya Desams(106).  This is the first
> time we had the blessings of a couple who had visited all the Divya Desams.
>
> Thanks to Sri Mani and others who are maintaining this forum.  It gives a
> chance for sinner like me to cleanse our souls.  May this work continue with
> the blessings of Shriman Narayana and His Consort.
>
> SRIMATE GOPALA DESIKA MAHADESIKAYA NAMA:

Dear friend,
>From your posting, I understand that you are a Sishya of Poundarikapuram
Andavan Gopala Desika Maha Desikan Swami. I wish to inform you that
myself, Murali Rangaswamy and Madhava Kannan are also Sishyas of the PP
Asramam.

We are planning to construct a Home Page for PP Asramam. If you have any
photos and/or other materials relevant, kindly inform me so that the
same can be incorporated in the Home Page.

Also, if you have the Malar issued in connection with the 151st
Tirunakshatram of Poundarikapuram Swami, I would be grateful if you
could make it available to me. Swami gave me a copy but unfortunately, I
had left it behind in Madras. I need it for preparing my speech on
Saranagathi, assigned to me at the Pittsburgh meet on 23rd May 98. I
will return it after taking notes therefrom or if you plan to visit
Pittsburgh meet, I will personally hand it over to you.
My address is
4816 Charlton Lane
Charlotte
NC28210
Phone #(704) 554-9926
You may send me an e. mail at
nutech@ix.netcom.com
PS: I am planning to go to Cleveland this week end. So, I would
appreciate if you could let me know on the above to my Charlotte address
ASAP.
Thanks
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
President,
Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam, USA & Canada.