Re: melukkote

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 27, 2002

dEar Srikanth,
The Journey time to Melukote(Tirunarayanapuram) from Bangalore is
approximately 3 hours.

>From Bangalore you have to travel on Mysore Road towards Mysore. You will
cross Ramanagaram, Chennapatna, Maddur and reach Mandya the district
headquarters which the Melukote belongs to. You further travel towards
Mysore from Mandya and at a distance of approximately 1 or 2 Kms you have to
take a deviation towards right for Melukote which is 40 KMs from there. You
should see a sign post to Melukote on the Mysore road there at the
deviation. If you have doubts you can ask someone in Mandya town who will
direct you towards Melukote.

Hope you have a lovely darshan of Cheluva Narayana(Shelva Pillai) the
presiding deity and YogaNarasimhaSwamy on the hilltop.  I suggest you carry
a Camera to catch the beauty of the Melukote town with the Hill Shrine and
many Kalyanis. Don't forget to see the Big Kalyani near the foot of the hill
and also the Akka/Tangi Kola the Kalyanis of the two sisters which is very
beautiful. The beauty of Melukote is been captured in films by many
including the famous director Maniratnam and actors Rajnikanth and
Kamalhaasan and in many Hindi and Kannada Movies.

Also you can visit Tonnur(Tondanur) where Sri Ramanuja first came and
settled in Karnataka in the 12th Century. There is a very beautiful lake in
Tonnur, the water of which is crystal clear. You can find a temple dedicated
to NambiNarayana there.

Also I suggest you visit the famous maLur Aprameya swami temple which is
near Chennapatna on the way to Melukote. It is a very beautiful temple and
you can find the beautiful idol of Benne Krishna there.

Om Namo Melukote Cheluvanarayana

Pranamam
Sampige Srinivasa Iyengar
Bangalore