Re: Digest Number 331

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 24, 2001

Srimad Venkata Lakshmana yativaraya namah.
Sri rukmini Sameta Parthasarathy Parabrahmane Namah.

Dear Sriman Martin,

namaskar.

Actually all Yatis of SrIvaishNava sampradAya are eulogized as yOgis.

For eg., in our guruparamparA dhyAnam we say:

"SrIman lakshmaNa yOgi pungava" which refers to Acharya lakshmaNa i.e. rAmAnuja.

In SrI maNavALa mAmunigaL's yatirAja vimSati thaniyan,
we have

"nowmi sowmya vara yOgi pungavam"

In Thirumalai oLugu, a standard text dealing with the customs of thirumala temple, we find the first line of the SlOka mentioning the names of eight principle disciples of maNavALa mAmnuigaL -

"vAnAdri yOgi vara vEnkata yOgi varya"
wherein vAnAdri yOgi and vEnkata yOgi refer to vAnamAmalai jIyar and Thiruvengada JIyar respectively.

Yes. all these Acharyas r called yogis. but why?
They are not followers of Bhakti yOga or jnAna yOga or karma yOga nor they were propagating some physical and mental excercises known to the western world nowadays as yOga.

They were also practising and preaching  one yOga that is BhagavadEkOpAyOpEya rUpa prapatti yOga i.e. the path of complete surrender wherein you dont have anything other than BhagavAn as your means and goal. That is why they are known as yOgis.

dAsAnudAsan
Vishnu

>Message: 6
>   Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:13:15 +0200
>   From: Martin Gansten
>Subject: Ramanuja as parama-yogin
>
>At the beginning of his Srutaprakasika commentary on the Sribhashya, Sri
>Sudarsana Suri gives praise to Bhagavad Ramanuja in the following words:
>
>	tasmai raamaanujaaryaaya nama.h parama-yogine ...
>
>I would like to know if there are other traditional eulogies on Ramanuja
>using the words yoga or yogin. (I am familiar with the one or two instances
>in Swami Desika's Yatirajasaptati.) If you are aware of any such stanzas, I
>would be very grateful to learn about them.
>
>Ramanuja Dasa,
>M. Gansten

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!