Re: Kura-narayanar

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 16, 2001

Dear Sri Cadambi:

Sri KuranArAyanar is a Vadakalai AchAryan
who lived around 1459 CE.

His commentaries on MaaNDUkya Upanishad ,
TaittirIya Upanishad and IsAvAsyOpanishad
are classical commentaries. The other work
he is known for is SudarsanAshtakam .

The Founding Jeeyar of Ahobila Matam (b1379 CE)
reached MalOlan's Thiruvadi in 1458 CE. KuranArAyaNan's
time is therefore after AdhivaNN SatakOpa Jeeyar .

The second Jeeyar of Ahobila Matam , HH Sri NaarAyaNa
YathIndhra MahA Desikan ( aasthAna Kaalam : 1473-85)
might have influenced the studies of KuranArAyabNar.
The second Jeeyar has also written a commentary for
IsAvAsyOpanishad following the lines of Swamy Desikan
(1268-1369 CE). Swamy Desikan coverd in His commentary
on IsAvAsyOpanishad the doctrines of Tatthva-Hitha-PurushArthams,
Prapathti , the unity of UpAya and upEya as well as
the esoteric meanings of the MahA Vaakyam , "Tatthvamasi".

later commentators from the second Jeeyar of Ahobila Mutt,
KuranArAyaNar , Upanishad BhAshyakArar, Sri RanganAtha Muni
(Disciple of Taatha Desikan)  based their commentaries on
Swamy Desikan's commentary.

V.Sadagopan