From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 30, 2000

Sri Raamajayam

Adiyen wish to recall my earlier posting to Sri.Chandrasekaran's query on Sri.Vishnu Puraana.   Adiyen was shortsighted with the interest of merely conveying the message of not reading between lines on the Sri.Vishnu Puraana, that the rest of the details were not explained properly and perhaps miscommunicating to what our Acharya have said on it.   Please accept my apologies and avoid further thread on that posting, unless some Bhagavathaa can explain on those lines in adherence to the Pramaanas and reflecting the mentioned message on the Upanyaasam of our Acharya, correctly.

Adiyen Sri Raamanuja Daasan,

Sudarsana Dasosmi

PLEASE OMIT THE REFERENCES STATED BELOW

Sri Raamajayam
Dear Bhagavathaas,
                  In the Vedas there is a quote, "Don't kill any creatures",
in the same Vedic text it says later "Where Agni and Soma are present in a
yajnya, you can offer goat as a sacrifice".  So it cannot be interpreted Vedas
contradict in itself.  In this specific case the Nyaaya is, "Munnathai Vida
pinnathu Valiyathu"(Latter is stronger than the former). Same in the case of a
certain ritvik practice, where all the Yajnya Srestas have to hold their hands
and walk around the fire, the one who lets go has to perform Prayaschittham by
Shastra.  If two were to leave their hands together, only one has to do the
Prayaschittham according to a Nyaaya for the Shastra.  So whenever we see
ambiguous statements, we should study and use the Nyaayas(like Sri Raamanuja
using Mimamsa Nyaaya to explain "Tvam Tatvamasi" of Chandogya Upanishad in his
Magnum Opus Sri Bhashyam).  Upanyaasam of His Godliness Sri Poundareekapuram
Srimad Andavan Sri Gopala DEsika Mahadesikan Swami(Yathiraja Sap!
thathi).
In the same vein AdiyEn has heard of the Vedas saying "Bhakthi leads to
Moksham, do it"(No Ambiguity to user).  As for Prapatthi it says Prapatthi
leads to Moksham, but stops there(Ambiguity to user).  This does not mean
Prapatthi is not recommended, but probably the choice is made to the
Bhagavathaa probably to seek an Acharya, clarify and decide.

Similarly in my personal opinion, wherever Bhagavathaas live, the place is
Pavithram(as wherever Hari/Raama Naamam is uttered that place ceases to be a
BhOga BhUmi and becomes Bhakthi Bhoomi).  Perhaps in Swami Parasara's time it
might be true, given our NAMA Sathsangham around the world, Sriman Naarayana
has been extremely merciful in our time.

Based on my first paragraph, a greater thinking is required on your particular
question, but what AdiyEn have in the 2nd para, is all in a lighter vein, to
justify our materialistic pursuits abroad.

AdiyEn Sri Raamanuja Daasan,

Sudarsana Dasosmi

Message: 6