From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 19, 2000

Dear Sri Sanjay Balaram:

The manthrams for picking TuLasI for BhagavadhAradhanam
are four in number.Typically two are used.
First one has to wash one's feet and hands,
perform aachamanam and collect the leaves
(TaLam) in a clean vessel or plantain leaf.

These two manthrams are:

(1) Initial manthram and anjali to TuLasi plant :

" yann mUlE sarva theerthAni , yann madhyE SarvadEvathA:
  yadhagrE sarva vEdAsccha , thvAm namAmyaham "

(2) The gruhaNa (picking ) manthram at the time of collecting
the TuLasi taLam ( TuLasI taLam : 4 leaves and the stem) are:

" Tulasyamrutha janmAsi sadhA thvam kEsava priyE
  KEsavArtham lunAmi thvaam VaradhA bhava sObhanE "

There are two other manthrams that are used in different
sampradhAyams. One can stay with the above two.

There are times/days  to collect TuLasi from the TuLasi
plant . SvarNa Pushpa AarAdhanai is the only highest
upakaraNam for worship of the Lord compared to TuLasi
in AaarAdhanam .

PaancharAthra Rakshai and the VaishNava dharamam section
of AasvamEdhika parvam of MahA BhAratham deal with the
role of TuLasi in BhagavadhArAdhanam.

Hope this helps,
V.Sadagopan