Re: [Vishnu Puranam]

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 10, 2000

Dear Shree Chandrashekaran Venkataraman,

Vishnu Puranam is regarded as "Purana Ratnam" - The Gem among puranas
and is the first in the Satvika Purana Category, fully accepted as
authority as it is in strict accordance with the Sruti (Veda). It is
in the form of conversation between Sage Shree Parasara Bhagavan and
Sage Mytreya Rishi. The Vishnu Puranam aims at explaining the
Tatva (Chit, Achit & Iswara), Hita & Purushaartha and hence the
Visistaadvaita Shree Vaishnava Philosophy and practice. On the other
hand Shreemath Bhaagavata Maha Puranam (though explains the
tatva, hita and purushartha) concentrates more on the Leela (sport)
of Bhagavan Vishnu as it is written by Vyasa with an aim to focus
on Bhagavan's leela and kalyana gunas. This is the answer for your
question. But both puranas talks about these aspects I have mentioned.

Thanks & Regards
M.S.HARI Raamaanuja Daasan.

Chandrashekaran Venkataraman  wrote:

>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Dear members,
     I would like to know why the prabhAvam of Lord Narasimha and
hiraNyakasipu vadham are not elaborated in Sri Vishnu Puranam and done so
only in Srimad Bhagawatam. Please correct me if this impression is wrong.

     Thanks and regards.
     adiyEn,
     chandrasekaran.

Old school buds here: