RE: Hamam soap contains Thulasi :-(

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 10, 2000

Dear Friends:

Not that I use Hamam Soap, but this is indeed an interesting topic of
interest for the following reasons:

1.  Thulasi has traditionally been used as a medicine both through oral
consumption and through a paste for external application.  In the present
case, Hamam soap uses oil from the tulasi leaves in the making of the soap
which adds medicinal value, however miniscule percentage it maybe.

2.  Although not followed in most current practice, I was under the
impression that the Thulasi that is offerred to the Lord is done so after
following meticulous procedures in the growth of the plant, the picking of
the leaves and it's offering (I am referring to specific scriptures that is
recited during the various stages).  Given this background would it be
appropriate to classify the leaf and it's oil truly as "The Thulasi".

3.  Kumkumam (manjaL paththu), saffron, turmeric (kasthUri manjaL) and
pachai karpUram which is also offerred to the lord is commonly used for
regular food and as medicines for external aplication as well in traditional
Indian medicine.  How does this issue affect the sanctity value of such
items ?

Could the learned members through light on that issue as well.

Regards,

Raja Krishnasamy