Re: Origin of namam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 25, 1999

Dear Sri Narasimhan :

(1)The name Vishanvam is of Vedic origin .

The name is referred to in Rg Vedam first ,
the oldest of VedAs .The exact quotation
is "Gaam gathasya tava dhAma VaishNavam ".
The effulgence of the Lord ( Svayam Jyothi)
is being saluted here .He is param JyOthi .

(2)The nigantu explanation is " VishNurdEvathAsya
tasyEdham vaa aNN) or that relates to VishNu .

(3)It is also the noun of the asterism "SravaNaa".
SravaNam is VishNu's constellation ( SravaNa VenkatEsan ).
Although SravaNa nakshthram is the celebrated
constellation assoicated with Him , we have to remember
the slOkam used by the AarAdhakar at Ahobila matam
before ThiruvArAdhanam :

Thithir VishNus tathA vaara:
Nakshathram VishNurEva cha
yOgasccha karanam chaiva
SARVAM VISHNU MAYAM JAGATH

(4)Vaishnavam also means the celestial residence of
MahA VishNu (i-e) VaikuNtam .

(5)Finally , VaishNavam means the ashes of a burnt
offering like in PurNAhUthi during a Vedic yAgam .
I have written earlier under the 40 samskArAs of
Hindus about those Yaagams , where cooked Havis
is offered to Agni invoking devathAs , whose
antharyAmi is MahA VishNu /Sriman naarAyaNA .
We are back to Veda sambhandham now .

Vaishnavam can not be understood without
knowing about VaishNava lakshaNam .That is
a deep subject beyond the scope of this
short note .

V.Sadagopan

At 12:10 PM 3/24/99 +0530, you wrote:
>HI All :
>I am just curious, does anyone know how Vaishanava's Namam
originated? and does it have any meaning?
(as per any shastra or any text)?