question on nitya-karmas

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 22, 1997

Dear Bhakthi Group Members :

My comments /observations on the request for
information on SV Dinasaris including
SandhyAvandhanam with
svarams are as follows :

1) This is  a vast subject covered by
Aacharya Saarvabhouman  RaamAnujA ,Swami
DEsikan and other AcharyAs .

2) The SandhyAvandanam part can be addressed
thru the audio tapes referred to earlier by
Sri M.Rangaswamy or Sri VijayarAghavan . If I
recollect rightly , these tapes have been
created by Poundarikapuram Aandavan Aasramam .

SRI VAISHNAVA DINASARI
***********************
The day of a Sri VaishNavA is divided into
five  parts by our AchAryAs . Swami Desikan
has blessed us with ten Tamil verses through
a grantham revered as " Sri VaishNava Dinasari " .
These five parts are : (1) Abhigamanm , the reverential
approach to Sriman NaarAyaNA as one wakes up , performs
the morning rituals like snanam , sandhyAvandhanam .
The first verse is a prayer to Kanchi Varadaraajan
at Brahma  muhoortham .
(2) UpAdAnam or acquisition of articles for the worship
of BhagavAn (3) IjyA or worship proper as the main
item of the day for a Sri ViashNavA. This is the AarAdhanam
proper  (4)SvAdhyAm or study of devotional works
(sthothrams , AruLiccheylgaL of AzhwArs, Veda Paatam )
(5) Yoga or meditation performed during the last
part of the day.The Sri VaishNava prepares the Lord for
His sayanam by mentally preparing a bed of flowers
for the Lord and then he goes to sleep placing his head
at the lotus feet of the Lord and to prepare for
spending another auspicious day in the life granted
on this earth .

Swami Desikan paints a beautiful picture of the
five angAs of the life of a Sri VaishNava in his
grantham .

I doubt very much that we are able to observe these
angAs in our lives here . Our AchAryAs do. For us there are
Laghu Aaraadhanam and other expediencies prescribed
so that one can have a modicum of observances for those
who wish to follow these dinasaris .

On the Naimmitthika KarmAs , there are elaborate texts
written by our AcharyAs and SutrakArAs .One such voluminous
text ( Aahnika Grantham )is " Sri Vaishnava Sadaacharya NirNayam "
with commentary by Sri Villivalam KrishNamAchArya
SwamigaL .Those , who belong to the Ahobila Mata
SampradhAyam are familiar with the current role
of Sri Villivalam SwamigaL in service of
Lord Lakshmi Narasimhan of Ahobilam .
This Magnificient Commentary in Tamil was published
in 1990 and is priced at rupees 100 . The original work
is by His Holiness,the 26th Jeeyar of Ahobila Mutt .
His father was the 25th Jeeyar of the Ahobila Mutt
and his son was the 27th Jeeyar
of the Ahobila Mutt.These three Jeeyars belong to an
illustrious family of KumbakoNam (Thirukkudanthai ),
which many of you know is 6 Kilometers away from
Oppiliappan Sannadhi.

The illustrious  44th Jeeyar of Ahobila Mutt ,
Sri VaNN SatakOpa Sri VedAntha Desika Yatheendhra
MahA Desikan blessed the commentary of his AsthAna VidwAn
( Sri Villivalam SwamigaL)with a MangaLAsAsana
Srimukha PathrikhA .This is my reference manual
on Aahnika Granthams .

I end this posting with a deep salutation to
the memory of His Holiness , the 44th Jeeyar of
Ahobila Mutt, who built the south Gopuram for
Sri RanganAtha , whose shadow stretches over
all of us and protects us everywhere .

SRIMADH VEDA MAARGA PRATHISHTAAPANAACHAARYA
PARAMA HAMSA PARIVRAAJAKAACHARYEDHYAATHIBHIRUDHA--
BRUNDHAVIBUSHITHAI: , SRIMADHAHOBILAMATEEYE
CHATHUSCHATHVAARIMSE DIVYAASTHAANE DHEEVYADHBHI:,
ANITHARA SAADHAARHANA-AKHILAGOCHARA- NAIPUNEE NIRUPITHA
NIRUPAMA KEETHIBHI: VADHAANYAVARAI: , DHRUSHTAA-
DHRUSHTAABHYAAM PRAKAARAABHYAAM ATHANUM AATANVAANAI :

SRIVANN SATAKOPA SRI VEDHAANTHADESIKA YATHEENDHRA
MAHAA DESIKA CHARANOU SARANAM PRAPADHYE .

SVASTHI ASTHU , SUBHAMASTHU .

Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan