WOMEN's FREEDOM IN RAMAYAN

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 21, 2003

From: "swanvai"
Date: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:58pm
Subject: WOMEN's FREEDOM IN RAMAYAN

Many in the earth have said the women are not treated properly and
their rights should be given and many acts are to be passed.  All
these are said in our country for the sake of women.  You can see one
thing ramayan that the major rights were enjoyed by women.

1.	Who wanted Lord rama to go to exile.  -   It is women only
ie., Mantra.

2.	Who wanted to go alongwith rama  -  Mother Sita and here u
can see one thing Guru Vaishta and all the elders of the family said
that Mother sita should not go, but mother sita insisted that she
will go alongwith rama. Whose words was successful.  Whether it was
of rama or sita. ?
3.	Who was disturbing the sacrifice of Vishwamitra – It was
tadaki women.
4.	Whose desire was to have golden deer – It was mother sita's
desire for which rama went and he has to forgoe sita for one year.
5.	Whose desire was to have rama in the forest – It was
shurpanaka for which misinterpreation was given by her to ravan and
created the fight.

Like this u can see many interesting character for which men have
been used and got their life's in trouble.  Also I would like to
mention u know one thing who has given curse to Dasrathaji.  It was
only mother of Sravan kumar not the father.  One more thing u can in
sita syamvaram that men should break the bow and get married. So here
there was more preference given to women in the past and also now in
the present so their rights were always safeguarded.

Mahatma Gandhiji said that women are the weaker sections of the
society. It is wrong .  You can also see that when Sage Yagnavalki
wants to go then he distributed his property to both the wife's but
one of his wife wants knowledge did  he not imparted he very well
gave the brahma vidya .

So no where u can find that women were ill treated.  It is in the
movies they have projected like that.  Also I would like to say one
more interesting fact in ramayan.

Many say that Mother sita was facing lot of difficulties in the
earth .  Can anybody say what are the difficulties she was facing?

I would like to explain the things with examples.  See for vegeterian
people eating meat and other things are difficult , but they can stay
without foot .  It is not difficult for them . Is is right or wrong.
If I think that without food is difficult I will very well eat the
meat and quench my hunger.

In the same way Mother sita staying in Lanka was not difficult
because if she thought that was difficult she would very well agreed
to the words of ravan and stayed with her in palace.  But it was
difficult to stay in palace not in ashoka vatika. Is is right or
wrong.

Mother sita desire was to accompany rama in forest she did not feet
it as difficult that is why she accompanied him to forest.  Also she
did not feel difficult in ashoka vatia that is why she stayed there
only.

I would not like to keep silent in the most interesting thing that
why did rama sent sita to  forest after the exile of 14 years .  I
would like to explain as follows as per my reading the books.

See one thing that already people at  ayodhya were talking that sita
stayed in lanka and they were suspecting her purity.   Sita itself is
purity and people who talk ill of sita has no place in hell also
please note it this is said in ramayan.  But Lord rama was so kind
hearted he gave the place at vaikuntam for all the ayodhaya wasi.
See if rama could not have sent sita to forest  people would have
labeled more worst on sita (say they would  have even used most dirty
words on her) so to avoid those words lord rama sent sita to forest
and by sending her to forest people had sympathy on her and rama was
ready to bear the ill talk of him.  Now only people are having
sympathy on sita and they are questioning why rama sent sita to
forest.  You tell me has anybody have pleasure in sending owns' wife
to forest. Not yet only to avoid the dirty talks of the people in
ayodhya he sent sita and diverted the issue.

In my next writings I will write something about sita vivaha and sita
haran.

With due respects to all .

v.anjaneyulu
powergrid
400kv s/s, betul road,
pathrota, itarsi – 461 111(mp)
India
Phone/fax  : 07572-261103, Resi       : 07572-261335