Re: "Kannan"

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 9, 2003

Dear All.,

my little bit of information as follows:

"Kannan" in tamil is simply the one who possess THE
eyes (kangalai udaiyavan - kannan; here srikrishna's
divya eyes).

there are lots of adjectives such as kamalakkannan,
thaamaraikkannan (both meaning lotus like eyes.. )

other examples are:

Tholan (the one who possesses THE (divya)shoulders)
Saarngan (the one who possess Saarngam - the bow;
saarngathai udaiyavan)
Kaadhan (the one who possesses THE ears)
e.g. magaranedunkuzhaikkaadhan (thenthirupperai
perumal name)
Kaalan (the one who possesses the divine legs)
thalaikkaalan - thalai - an ornament for the legs;
"Thalaikkalan pin ponaal" - siriya thirumadal
(thirumangai azhvar)

"Naangu tholan kuni saarngan"
Thiruvaimozhi (Nammazhvar).

sometimes it is helpful to look into simple
straight forward meanings - rather than indirect,
round about, complicated interpretations..

Vachaka Dhosha: kshanthavya:
urs
arulmari.