Re: Varutham os Lord Narashinga

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 20, 2002

Dear Gowri RaviGanesh
Adiyen wish to reply to your query on "Pandhanai theera Pallandu" based on
Swamy PeriavAchanPillai commentary.

As we all know that PeriAlwar was noted for his Pongum Parivu on emberumAn,
as we pray to protect ourselves from this Samsara Sagram , Perialwar was
wishing Perumal "Pallandu" with the fear that he should not fall prey to the
evil eyes of "Thrustty". Such was the Parivu of Alwar on emberumAn. If you
see the whole Pallandu pathigam Alwar calls all
"Ananya Prayojanargal" - who are not demanding any thing from Him other than
Him
"Kyvalyarthigal "- Who wants to enjoy his own Adhma than ParamAdhma
"AyswaryArthigal"- Who ask for Ayswaryam from Him

In the pAsuram of "Endhai thanthai.." Alwar proudly says the lineage of
"Anaya Prayojanargal" upto 7 "thalamurai" doing Kaimkaryam to Him on the
"Thiruvona Thiruvizha", here please note that Alwar uses the Thiruvonam
nakshatram which is the star of Vishu. After that started worrying about
Narasimha Avatharam.
As we all know during Rama Avatharam , He got to destroy Ravana (at the age
of 30+) and during Krishna Avatharam also He got to destroy lot of demons
from His childhood onwards. But just think about Narasimha who have to
encounter iRanyan , just immediately after His birth. Normally all child
will be having some "nadukkam" immediately after birth and each child will
overcome that shivering, if not then thats end of it.
Sri.PeriavAchanPillai has superbly written a superb commentary on it quoting
"Pandhan" as the "shivering", I think without SriPVP Commentary we cannot
enjoy Divya Prabandam that much,
Here you can think of Alwar was praying for Narasimha to maneuver that
"Pandhan" and live for "Pallandu". We can really really enjoy Alwar's parivu
and to what extent Alwar's Thiruvullam would have prayed  Pallandu for Him.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan

Gunaseelan Venkatachary
Ph:408 588 6672