Re: A correction to the posting on 2'nd thiruvandhAdhi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 15, 2002

Dear Sri Mani,

The following is strictly adiyEn's opinion. As
such all errors and poor interpretations are
also strictly mine.

I don't think we can literally take all of our
Azhvar's outpourings as their direct experiences.

A lot of it has to be taken as messages for us
given in a simple, elegant and understandable
form. As such we hear them lamenting their
separation, enjoying their association, talking
about their mortal sufferings, speaking of
their joyous ascension to paramapadam, etc.

If it were not, as an example, one should be
confused by Nammazhvar stating that one needs to
be at Tiruvengadam and performing kainkaryam there
and yet we know that he never physically went to
Tiruvengadam.

For most of us who wallow in the karmas of this
world, it is a fact that we do not experience Him
directly, as a vision or otherwise. Most of us
are even incapable of seeing His presence in
everything that surrounds us even though we
believe that to be true. Azhvar's various
messages/experiences apply to all of us at some
point or other. The times that he and other
bhAgavatas had direct experience of Him is also
a message to us, as to what we can aspire to.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

--- Mani Varadarajan

http://sports.yahoo.com/