Re: Priests and their classification

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 3, 2002

At 09:21 PM 2/26/02 +0530, you wrote:

Dear Bhagavathas,

>I have heard about a certain hierarchy followed in our temples whereby
>some are referred to as 'Manaians' ,some as 'Sthanikars' etc.Can someone
>elaboarate on these classification/hierachy followed among those involved
>in priestly duties

>Thanks
>venkat

Dear Sri Venkat Iyengar:

The people with the titles of " MaNiyakkArar " and
"SthAnikar" do not have priestly duties like Bhattars .
They are administrators and have special roles
to play in uthsavams of the Lord of SrIrangam
and day to day running of things .

Their positions were created by AchArya RaamAnujA
for efficent and orderly  administration .
This title is prevalent even today at SrIrangam .
Today HREB has introduced elsewhere the title
of Executive Officer and Manager etc.They
still do not have the power of Srirangam MaNiyam
or SthAnikar .

Sri Tirumanjanam Sundara Rajan Swamy and Sri Thirukkudanthai
Rengarajan Swamy would have more precise information on
the hierarchies and exact duties of SthAnikar , MaNiyam
and others today at SrIrangam .

SthAnikar has the higher hierarchy in Uthsavams .
He orchestrates the activities like calling Utthama
Nampi during Vaikunta EkAdasi with vinayam to
the Lord's side . utthama Nampi is honored
with small vasthram to take charge of the Uthsavam.
next MaNiyam and KanThAdai vamsam are honored as
assistants to Utthama Nampi and next the group of
eight known as ThiruvarangakkUttatthAr (Ashta Prabhanda
PaarAyaNakArAL)et al.

I learnt a lot form SrImathi RenganAyaki KaLLapirAn
at the time she asked me to write a foreword for Her
monograph on SrIrangam and AchArya prabhAvam. I may not
recall them right. Long time SrIranga Vaasis like Sriman
Sundararajan and Sriman Rengarajan are requested to
correct any inaccuracies.

SrIrangam temple has very unique paribhAshai
like "RaamAnusan " ( DhIpArahdanai Plate),
Uppu ChARu ( MiLagu Kuzhambu offered for
SrI RanganAyaki as NaivEdhyam ), Surasam
(Kumkuma Kuzhampu used by Sri RanganAthan)et al .

SrI RanganAthO Jayathi,
RaamAnuja Daasan , V.Sadagopan