Re: Bhagavatas in Ancient India

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 18, 2001

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "Malolan Cadambi"  wrote:
> Deat Sriman Vishal Agarwal,
>
> I have a few queries on Aalavandaars' explanations on the veda
shakha which
> are supposed to be followed by Sri Vaishnavas.
>
> You mention that :
> > the Agamapramanya of Sri Yamunamuni says that Sri Vaishnavas are
followers
> of
> > the Sukla Yajurveda Sakha, Katyayana sutra). If I remember
correctly, the
> > Ahirbudhnya Pancharatra Samhita also says that Kanva Sakha is of
the
> > Pancharatrins.

Sri Agarwal has evidently mixed up the context a little here.

Agamapramanyam while talking of the vedic affiliation of the *ancient
Bhagavatas* who observe the pancaratra ritual says that they belong
to the ekAyanasAkha of the vAjasaneyin's who themselves represent the
Sukla yajur veda. The relevant quote is, "when one sees learned
people, who day after day study the ekayanasakha of the vAjasanayins,
wear prominently their sacred threads and upper garments and hair
tufts, impart teaching, offer sacrifices, and receive priestly
stipends does one not know instantly ..." etc etc.

Hope this helps,

LS