Re: Bhagavatas in Ancient India

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 16, 2001

Deat Sriman Vishal Agarwal,

I have a few queries on Aalavandaars' explanations on the veda shakha which
are supposed to be followed by Sri Vaishnavas.

You mention that :
> the Agamapramanya of Sri Yamunamuni says that Sri Vaishnavas are followers
of
> the Sukla Yajurveda Sakha, Katyayana sutra). If I remember correctly, the
> Ahirbudhnya Pancharatra Samhita also says that Kanva Sakha is of the
> Pancharatrins.

The living tradition as I am aware of, follow only Krisha Yajur Veda Shakha.
I have not come across many bhaagavatas following the Sukla Shakai. Since
the guru parampara is flawlessly followed by the generations, i do not see
where a possible "change" in the yajur veda shakas came into exsistence.

A considerable number of Sri Vaishanavas also follow Rk/Sama vedams. How is
this fact to be understood in light of alavandaars agama pramanya?

I heard from elders that the sukla shakai is more popular in parts of
northern hindustan like Uttar Pradesh.
Could you provide some more details on these topics please?

Regards,

Adiyen Ramanuja Daasan,

Malolan Cadambi