Re: THRIDANDAM

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 28, 2000

Sri M.G. Vasudevan wrote:
> Also one may notice a small flag in the thridhandam. It is a
> piece of cloth for purposes of doing japam. Since sanyasi has
> only one vasthram, how to do the japam by covering his hands?
> This cloth helps and then it goes back to that position.

Dear Sri Vasudevan,

I was under the impression that this cloth was for straining
drinking water, to ensure that there were no insects or other
small creatures therein.  The sannyasi after all has to observe
absolute ahimsa. Is this cloth also used for japam?

>From what I have seen, sannyasis carry another ochre-colored
cloth under their arm which I thought serve as the cloth to cover
their hands during japam. But perhaps this is used for some other
purpose?

ramanuja daasan,

                  - SrImate raamaanujaaya namaH -

http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/2/_/716111/_/954273512/