Re: bhakti-list digest

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 25, 2000

In  response to the following question, the response, to the extent I know,
is given below.

> Namaskaram,
>
> My father is turning 60 and I would like to perform the Sadabishekam
> for my parents. I heard that there is a temple near Madras, where I
> can perform this wedding. I live in here in U.S.A. I would like to know
> how to contact this temple for the wedding. I would like to hear
> your experience in this matter.
>
> Nandri,
> Latha

The procedure for sixtieth birth day celebration is as follows:

1.    Five days before in a small mantapam or in a room spread dhAnyam and
akshathai on top.
       Place a kumbham and fill the kumbham with water sanntified by ganagA
and kAvEri thertham.  Leave perumal, preferably sAligramam instead of a
photo,  next to the mumbham facing east.

2.    After vishvaksEna Aradhanam,  perform Avahanam of pudareekAshan or
Lakshminrusimhan, according to sampradayam.
3.    Next to sankalpam involving all family members start with veda
pArayanam (portions of rik, yajus, sama and atharva veda followed by at
least eight anuvAham of yajurvedam (or to whatever sAkha one belongs to)
with trained priests over the first 4 days.  Also all or portions of
nAlAyira divya prabhandam will be chanted after performing sAttumurai for
each day in the morning as well as in the evening,
4.    On the fifth day, i.e., on the day of the 60th birth day, after
udakasanti perform nakshatra homam, (corresponding to the nakshatram of the
person), and Ayushya homam.
5.    Then udakasanti theertha snAnam is performed.  Entire family (son's
daughters, daughters-in-law etc.,) then attends to nireekshadAnam (which
involves seeing the figure of the entire family -all together- in the
reflection of hot ghee poured into a large vessel (iluppa catti?).  At the
end of this, every one wears new vastras.
6. After mAngalaya dhAranm, followed by Aseervadam, perumAl sambavana, and
odhi iduthal (presenting gifts), tiru Aradhanam is performed to the chanting
of koil tiruvoimozhi.  The sAligramam moved to the original place after
paryankAsanam is completed for the day.

7. The function is concluded after tadeeyAradhanam.

With the help of trained purohits, this is to be performed in the house.
The most important in all of these are: Veda Parayanam, prabhanda pArayanam,
Ayushya homam and nireeksha dhAnam, and tadeeyAradhanam to purohits This
function is performed for the welfare of the children.  mAngalya dhAranam
etc., are performed as a social event only.

If your parents are in this country, you might perform 60th birthday of your
parents in your house with the help of local temple priests, who can perform
udakasAnti, and Ayushya homam etc.

The presence of eldest son and his wife is considered necessary for the
event.

dAsan rAghavan.

> [...]
> Latha
>

> ------------------------------ message 9235 ------------------------------
> http://www.eGroups.com/list/bhakti-list/?start=9235
>
> From: "vchandra"
> Date: 20 Mar 2000 09:20:24 +0500
> Subject: gO mAdhA in ruins?
>
> Dear members,
>     Though this subject is not totally relevant to this list, it has some
s=
> ignificance, I feel.
>     In our tradition cow is as sacred as Lord Narayana Himself since it's
b=
> elieved to house all the dEvAs in its various angams. Mainly speaking,
huma=
> ns have been for eons impressed by the sAtvic characteristics of the gO
mAd=
> hA and hence worship the soft-natured being as Holy mother. But though the
=
> sAtvic character is inherent in a cow, its nature should also be because
of=
>  the food that it consumes and the shed that it lives in. This being the
id=
> eal, now we come to see some heart-rending things that are happening to
the=
> se creatures in our country and abroad (no need to talk about slaughter
hou=
> ses here). =
>
>     Here in Bangalore (even in vArANasi kshEtram where I visited last
year)=
> , it's a common sight these days to see cows roaming in the streets
hapless=
> ly. Their main food is garbage of the town. This garbage includes all
sorts=
>  of things plastic bags, paper, all junk that houses dump into the garbage
=
> can in the streets. Once it seems a cow was operated and they took out
unim=
> aginable kind of things from its stomach. I feel so sad when I see a cow
fe=
> eding on the garbage. =
>
>     This being the status in our country,
>     in Western countries, esp US, I read in the internet somewhere, the
vet=
> . scientists (they call themselves thus) have discovered that replacing
so=
> me vegetarian diet of a cow with fish oil increases the yield and improves
=
> the nutrients of the milk. I can't imagine to what extent man will tamper
w=
> ith the nature in meeting his ends,.. it's simply heart-rending.
>    This being the case, will a cow and its offsprings (and the milk) still
=
> possess the sAtvic character that is so dear to us ? Sometimes they say
"ri=
> shi mUlam and nadhi mUlam" should not be analysed. =
>
>    I sincerely apologise if the contents above are hurting.

Sadabishekam