Re: parisEshaNa mantram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 15, 2000

Dear members,
   I actually wanted to know the meaning of the "svAhA:" mantrams as to what each means. The first one "prANAya svAhA:" means we offer the food first to our life-sustaining breath (prANa maya kOsham) and finally by saying "brahmaNe svAhA:" we offer the food to the Ultimate brahman, our inner self. I would like to know the meanings of the other four mantrams, if someone can provide.

   As Sri Anbil has pointed out, I am one of those youngsters who is facing the dilemma of abidance to one's customs and at the same time having to sustain one's course of life which is non-brAhmaNic. It's a sad course indeed. I have some times, as Sri Anbil prescribed regretted for this and craved to have taken a vEda brAhmaNa's life which is devoid of anxieties and irregularities. But that was too late, when I woke up. I sincerely go by Sri Anbil's words here.

   Looking forward to your kind response to my above request for the meanings.

   Thanks.
   adiyEn,
   chandrasekaran.

> Sri Anbil wrote:
> In fact, we seem to specialize in doing what should not be
> done "akritya
> karaNam" and abandoning what should be done "kritya akaraNam"
> not only in the
> matter of eating but also in all our activities whether we are in the
> PuNyabhoomi of BhAratha Varsha or in the BhOgabhoomi like
> USA.and in an alien
> environment.
>
> This raises more questions than answers.
>
> But, why do we do precisely what has been prohibited?
> It is because we have given up our duties prescribed
> (Including this one, let
> alone doing our nitya and naimittika anushtAnams). No wonder,
> we have become
> the butt-end of such remarks.
>
> Why have we given up?
> It is because our elders instructed us on "what" and "how"
> they had not cared
> to explain the "Why" of it all. We also never cared to
> question either out of
> apathy or fear. And, we remained non-starters throughout.
>
> When we ourselves do not know, how can we guide youngsters?

                  - SrImate raamaanujaaya namaH -

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2345/2/_/716111/_/953146007/