Re: Sri Kottamangalam Varadacharya

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 7, 2000

Dear Bhaghavata UttamAs:

Very thought-provoking observations by s/shri Krishna Kalale, Sampath and
Madhavkkannan.  It is extremely relevant that we discuss and think on those
topics.

There are several instances where efforts to preserve the knowledge and
wisdom of our present day Sampradayic giants are well underway.  One such
project is the popularization of Swami Vedanta Desika's works.  Eminent
scholars are invited on Sravanams and their upanyasam is recorded and
distributed.  So far about 20 to 25 different topics have been covered.
This work is being organized by Shri Anantha Narasimhachar Swamigal under
the stewardship of PoundarIkapuram Swamigal. The project is looking for more
support and if you are interested please e-mail me.  Thanks.

dAsan

Vijayaraghavan
Buffalo, NY

>From: Krishna Kalale
>To: "bhakti-list@egroups.com"
>Subject: Sri Kottamangalam Varadacharya
>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:18:46 -0800
>
>I thank Sri Sadagopan for the description of his experiences on such a
>momentous trip involving his "prapatti".  I just wanted to mention Sri U Ve
>Kottamangalam Varadacharya is held in great esteem by even reknowned
>pundits such as SMS Chari (author of several books on Vedanta in English).
>  Adiyen had the good fortune of meeting Kottamangalam Varadacharya few
>times since he used to visit his daughter in Bangalore who was our neighbor
>for a few years.
>
>At this juncture, I would like to request all of you and particularly Sri
>Sadagopan, who is so capable, to start a new project to somehow collect and
>protect the writings of great pundits who are back there.
>
>  I bought several great works from parakala mutt in mysore long time back.
>  They are of course products of the students of the great Abhinava
>parakala
>mutt jeer who wrote gudartha dipika. THose books are almost lost since they
>are out of print.  They have to be re-printed.  About 20 or 30 books of Sri
>Uttamoor viraraghavacharya have to be re printed.  I was going through VKNS
>Raghavan's visistadvaita literature bibliography.  Most of these works are
>not in print.
>
>I personally feel that the single most significant failure of our community
>to date is :  "that we have some how not doing enough to protect the
>knowledge offered by our acharyas and obviously our own children will lose
>all that knowledge".  Personally,  I agree that temples have to built.
>  Archamurthis have to be honoured and decorated with ornaments to express
>our love and devotion.  Archa form is obviously the nearest form of that
>divine lord which is accessible to us right here on earth.   However, the
>most important duty for all of us is protection of vedas, mantras,
>shastras, bhasyas, vyakhyanams and translating them to a language and
>medium ( books in different languages, cassettes,  CDs, video cassettes
>etc.).  With so much technology available I dont want to even think of the
>idea that 3 generations after us,  one young person might say aloud " my
>ancestors screwed up reall bad!  they were so stupid that with all the
>technology available to them they did not protect and preserve the eternal
>knowledge offered to them by acharyas".
>
>I want to see the age wherein "distance learning classes" are offered to
>anyone even on a part time basis so that people can just dial in on the
>internet or on some medium and listen to our shastras.  We should educate
>our next generation in a suitable way with appropriate depth and language
>so that they dont think that is boring.  There are several thousand people
>who are not even near temples.  Those people should also have the benefit
>of learning about our rich tradition by getting pundits to visit and teach
> [...]

- aazhvaar, emberumaanaar, desikan, jeeyar tiruvadigale saranam -

http://click.egroups.com/1/2130/2/_/716111/_/952437035/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bhakti-list&m=1