Re: Vadakku Thiruveedhip PiLLai

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 4, 2000

Dear Sri Venkatesh :

Thanks for a  clarificatory note on
the AchArya paramparai for Sri Vadakku
Thiruveethip Pillai .

Compression of two sentences in adiyEn's posting
ended up in ambiguity. Please be assured
that There was no intent to cause confusion
among AachArya paramparai.

What adiyEn meant was that(1)NadadhUr ammAl
was the AchAryan of ApuLLAr of
Swamy Desikan's AchArya paramparai
and (2)Sudarsana Soori as well as
Vadakku Thiryveethip PiLLai (VTP) were
participants in the famous Sri Bhaashya KaalakshEpa
GhOshti at Sri DevarAja PerumAL temple
PrAkAram. When these two different information
points got compressed ,  the confusion has
arisen .

As is well known , it is not unusual for different
AchAryAs to attend the KaalkshEpa GhOshtis
of AchAryAs other than their own direct
AchAryan . This does not ever diminish the role
of the direct AchAryan . Cases in point are
that of EmperumAnAr Himself , who had five
AchAryAs and yet He is to be considered
as the Sishyar of MahA PoorNar . ThiruvAimozhippiLLai
is the direct AchAryan in the AchArya Paramparai of
Swamy MaNavALa Maamunigal inspite of the fact
that Adhi VaNN SatakOpa Jeeyar initiated
Sri Vara Vara Muni into SanyAsAsramam .

For the Vadakalai SampradhAyins , Sri Vadakku
Thiruveethi PiLlai(VTP) is the last AchAryan
in their paramparai . The two SampradhAyams
branch off thereafter .

The Tanmiyan for Sri VTP that we recite is:

SrikrishNa Paadha PaadhAbhjE  nmaAmi sirasA sadhA
Yath prasAdha prabhAvEna Sarvasidhdir abhUn mama

There sould not however be any confusion on
the most fundamental fact about
Sri VTP being the Thiruvadi (Direct
disciple ) of Swamy NampiLLai and
the author of Eedu Grantham.

Thanks for commenting on this
eminently avoidable slip in my writing
and correcting it quickly .

For completion of the information , the SaamAsrayaNa
Paramparai down to Adhi VaNN SatakOpa Jeeyar for
the Vadakalai SampradhAyins is :

Sri VTP --> His Prasishyar , KidAmpi SrirangAcchAr
of ThirunArAyaNapuram --> His kumarar , Sri KesavaacchAr
of ThirunArAyaNapuram--> His KumArar , Sri SrinivAsAcchAr
of ThirunArAyaNapuram , who is known as DhramiDa
aamnAya Desikan or the expert in Tamil Dhivya Prabhandham-->
His Son , Sri KesavAcchAr Swamy of ThirunArAyaNapuram ,
the father of Adhi VaNN SatakOpan , who was named
SrinivAsaachAr at birth and became the sishyar of
GatikAsatham ammAL of Kanchipuram ( the fifth descendant
of NadadhUr ammAl ).

Dear Sri Venkatesh, Thanks again ,

Daasan , V.Sadagopan

> At 01:24 PM 3/4/00 IST, you wrote:
>Sadagopan  wrote:
>

>Sri Lakshmi Nrusimha ParabrahmaNE Nama:
>

>NadhAdhUr ammAL
>****************
>
>Here, NadadhUr AzhwAn's grandson , VaradhachAr was
>born by the grace of Lord VaradarAjan . He became
>the AchAryan for ApuLLar , the uncle of Swamy Desikan ,
>Sudarsana Soori ( the author of Srutha prakAsikai ) ,
>vadakku Thiruveedhip PiLLai of Srirangam
>
>=================================x=====================================
>
>Please note that Vadakku Thiruveedhip piLLai was not the Sishya of
>NaDAdhUr ammAL. He was a direct sishyA of NampiLLaI. Swamy emberumAnAr
>had many sishyAs as everybody knows. Each and every SishyA had a sishyA
>or sishyAs for them and that is how the " emberumAnAr dharisanam" grew.
>
>Noteable among those sishyAs are KooratthAzhwAn, MudhaliAnDAn, EmbAr,
>NaDAdhUrAzhwAn, ThirukkurugaipiranpiLLAn, and many others (the list is too
>long). Of this NaDAdhUrAzhwAn had a sishyA named DEvarAja PerumAL and
>ThirukkurugaipiranpiLLAn had sishyA named EngaLAzhwAn. NaDAdhUr AmmAL who was
>also the Grandson of NaDAdhUrAzhwAn was a sishyA of both DEvarAja PerumAL and
>EngaLAzhwAn. Swami Desikan falls in this lineage.
>
>The famous Bhattar, Son of KooratthAzhwAn was a sishyA of EmbAr.Nanjeeyar was
>the sishyA of Bhattar, The Great NampiLLai was the sishyA of  Nanjeeyar.
>NampiLLai had sishyAs of which some are, NaDuvil Thiruveedhi bhattar, Vadakku
>Thiruveedhip piLLai,EeyuNNi mAdhavar, parama karuNigarAna PeriyaVacchAn
>piLLai, pinbazhagiya perumAL jeeyar and etc.
>
>So Vadakku Thiruveedhip piLLai is a sishyA of NampiLLai and not NadAdhUr
>ammAL. The lineage from here goes like this. Vadakku Thiruveedhip PiLLai had
>two great sons,one is the AshTAdasa Rahasya Pravakthar PiLLai LOkAchAryar and
>the other is Azhagiya MaNavALa perumAL nAyaNar whose work is the great
>"AchArya Hrudayam". KoorakulOtthama dAsar was one of the sishyAs of PiLLai
>LOkAchAryar. He had a sishyA ThiruvAimozhip piLLai who is the AchAryan of Sri
>MaNavALa mAmunigaL.
>
>adiyEn RAmAnuja dAsan
>
>Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

- aazhvaar, emberumaanaar, desikan, jeeyar tiruvadigale saranam -

eLerts!
ItÂ’s easy. ItÂ’s fun. Best of all, itÂ’s free.
http://click.egroups.com/1/2073/2/_/716111/_/952176842/

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=bhakti-list&m=1