Re: Digest bhakti.v004.n001

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 1, 1999

Sudarsan Parthasarathy wrote:

> 2.In Devipatnam(Navabhaashanam), Sri.Rama prayed to the Navagrahas and apparently Siva Lingaas at Rameswaram(since our Dhanuskodi
> Perumaal is now in Pammal).  These worship are not in the Mental plane (like previously discussed Dhyaana Mantraas, where we have
> Dhyaanam of Sriman Naarayanan, and not Indra, Rudra, Sudarsan or Mani), but in the Physical plane, which we are specifically
> encouraged as Sri Vaishnavites, not to practice.  In fact there are many other instances found not only in Srimad Raamayanam, but also
> in Mahaa Bharatham. Any explanation on this topic is awaited eagerly.
>

> Sudarsan

Just to support the replies of Sri K M Narayanan
and others based on what I have learned, there is
absolutely no reference in Srimad Valmiki
Ramayanam to Sri Rama doing arAdhanai to Siva, or
any other anya dEvatha. In fact, there is very
little reference to Sri Rama having done any pooja
or arAdhanai at all.  However, Sri Adikavi Valmiki
repeatedly points out that Sri Rama strictly
adhered to the performance of sandhyavandanam as
dictated by sAstra, perhaps as an indication to
all of us about the importance of adhering to
this.

There is only one incident which serves as
exception.  It takes place in the Ayodha khAndam,
the day before Sri Rama's original coronation
day.  Following the instruction of His father, Sri
Rama goes to the family temple along with Sita
Piratti to perform arAdhanai to Sriman Narayana
and meditate and fast until dawn.  Sri Valmiki
makes a clear and direct statemement that the
Deity that Sri Rama worshipped was Sriman
Narayana, and no one else.

I was also taught that the authors of other
versions of the Ramayanam have taken what could be
best described as "poetic license" in expanding
upon - or at times creating completely new -
incidents to enhance the mood of devotion or bring
more credibility to certain popular religious
sentiments.  The latter is probably the case in
explaining the accounts of Rama worshipping Siva
at Rameswaram.  While these other versions are to
be respected for their devotional content,
SriVaishnavas by tradition do not give equal
weight to them in terms of their content or
accuracy.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan

Mohan