Re: Sri Bhashyam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 27, 2002

--- In bhakti-list@y..., kuntimaddi sadananda
wrote:
> I have been looking for good translation of Shree
> Bhaashyam and sorry to say I have not found one.

As someone else has mentioned, the translation by
George Thibaut, done a hundred years ago as part
of the Sacred Books of the East series, is quite
good and has identified all the relevant quotations.
Thibaut studied Sribhashya with a Sri Vaishnava
vidvan in Benares.

The other translation, also done about a hundred
years ago, is by M. Rangacharya and M.B. Varadaraja
Aiyangar. It is now published by Munshiram Manoharlal
Publishers and is a three-volume set.  It is a little
more difficult to read but has excellent footnotes
and a very good explanatory introduction.

The "Brahma-Sutras according to Sri Ramanuja" book
is a decent introduction but is far too brief to
give a good idea as to what Ramanuja's arguments are.

For other brief introductions to the Sutras as Ramanuja
has understood them, I recommend the translation of
Vedanta Deepa by K. Bhashyam, published by Uttamur
Viraraghavacharya Swami and the translation of the
Vedanta Sara published by the Theosophical Publishing
House, Adyar, Madras.