Re: Sri Bhashyam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 27, 2002

Shree Sadagopan and others

I have been looking for good translation of Shree
Bhaashyam and sorry to say I have not found one.  I
have read (should I say I tried to study) 'Brahma
Sutra according to Ramanuja'. I found the book very
confusing after reading few pages I had to close the
book. Since I could not identify what exactly I have
understood from the book so far.   It was rather
frustrating.  Everytime I open the book, I ended up
closing it.

I do realize that the arguments are somewhat terse but
we do need a book that explains in clear terms what
they are in simple english. I stared writing myself
along the lnes of my notes on Shankara Bhaashya
avaialble in advaitin lists, but stopped because of
time constraints.   But my version will be from the
persepctive of an advaitin.

Other trnaslations are also very bad.  I recommend
books of Shreeman Srinivasa chari for the beginers.
Whether one agrees with the arguments are not, at
least it clear what they are.  The book is not a
translation but addresses the essence of Bhagavaan
Ramanuja's thesis.

By the by Shreeman Srinivasachari is currently in this
country and anyone can invite him to give lectures.  I
had the good fortune of leanring introductory portion
of Shree Bhaasya at his feet last year when he visited
us in Washington.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com