Re: Thiru ashtakshara japam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 18, 2001

Dear Shri Ramesh:

I assume that you have had Samashreyanam.  The PanchasamskAram is a
prerequisite before you can begin the AshtAkshara Japam.  The way you have
spelt the mantra (in bold letters) is imcomplete.

AshtAkshara Japam is considered to be a part of Sandhyavandanam.  The
Satvika Tyagam for Sandhya at the end is done after this japam.  It is done
immediately following the Gayatri Japam (after separate sankalpam with
anganyasam etc), provided the time for upasthanam has not arrived.  For eg.:
During Pratha: Sandhya, if Sun rise occurs before you finish Gayatri Japam
then you should do the upasthanam and then the Gayatri Japam.  If not do the
ashtaksharam and then the upasthanam.  The number to be done is same as that
of Gayatri Japam.

Hope this clarifies.

dAsan

S. Vijayaraghavan