Re: Question.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 21, 2000

Dear Bhagavathas,
                 Many thanks to Sri.peggy,Sri.Keshavan
Ramanuja and Sri.Mani vardarajan for clarifying my
doubt on slokha 37 of chapter 4 of the Bhagavad gita.

For the benefit of all the members of the list,i write
down the following conclusion resulting from the
answers given by the bhagavathas mentioned above:-

Self Knowledge nullifies all the karmas of an
individual by removing the root cause for the
experience or further creation of karmas,which is the
"Identification of the non-self or body with the
self".Such a state happens during the direct vision of
the self.Infact an application of the Intellectual
understanding of the self in our daily life helps us
to maintain our tranquility with respect to desirable
or undesirable events and also prevents us from
committing further errors or karmas.
But,such an realisation is effected by an Individual's
efforts in the right direction and by the grace of the
Lord,who gives the fruits of an Individual's karma.

In fact the Lord himself has mentioned this in the
Gita
in slokha 61 of chapter 2,where he gives the solution
for getting over the cyclic dependency of control over
the senses and vision of self or the cyclic dependency
of Karma and Ignorance.Another slokha 27 of chapter 14
also supports this.

More information on the same is welcomed.
Sri Krishnaarpanamasthu
B.N.Suresh

--- Mani Varadarajan