Re: Who is this deity?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 4, 2000

Sri J. Venkatanathan wrote:
> Dear Members:
>
> In some Vaishnava temples, a vinayakar-like deity is
> installed near temple entrance. The deity has Vaishnava
> oordhva pundram on its forehead.
>
> Would anyone please identify this deity and whether the
> deity is a Nithya-soori and why it is installed etc?
>
> Thanks

This person is indeed a nitya-sUri and is known in
Tamil is 'tumbikkai-AzhvAr'.  In Sanskrit, he is sometimes
referred to as 'gaja-vaktra' or the elephant-headed
one and is a significant member of the entourage of
Vishvaksena (sEnai mudaliyAr).  Sri Parasara Bhattar
refers to this nitya-sUri in the second verse of
his sahasranAma-bhAshya in the Sloka beginning with
'Om namO gajavaktrAdyaiH'.

As for the exact kainkaryam performed by this nitya-sUri
and the reason for his installation, I leave it to
more knowledgable members to write; but I believe he
may be thought to be a 'kOyil-kAppAn' (dvAra-pAlaka)
of sorts.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan

Big Groups = big savings @ beMANY!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4112/4/_/716111/_/960107181/