Re: agnostics in (Sri)Vaishnava philosophy

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 20, 1999

Badri wrote:
> How are agnostics considered in the Vedic tradition
> and in particular Sri Vaishnava tradition?

Nice to hear from you again, Badri. It's been a long time.

A quick reply: strictly speaking, Sri Vaishnavas are counselled
to live amonst bhAgavatas and serve them, be indifferent to
those who are indifferent to God, and to avoid those who hate God.
Since the agnostic category as you have defined it did not really
exist to my knowledge in ancient India, this question is not
specifically addressed in any of our acharyas' writings.
The closest thing is the "indifferent" one mentioned above.

Mani