Re: Re.visitaadvaitha

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 14, 1999

Dear Sri.Suresh,

I have no disagreement with the sentiments expressed by you.

The purpose of my interjection was only to remind members that contrary to
popular impression, there is, I would think, nothing like a term called
"VisishtAdvaitA" that was patented by Sri.RamAnujAchAryA. The label was
created later on by the school of philosophy that followed his teachings.

As you yourself say, upto his time in the history of Vedantic thought, no
one had elegantly formalised as he did the philosophical position that
"bheda" and "abheda" mind-sets blind one to the "ghataka" aspects of Vedic
and Upanishadic truth. It was therefore left to "bhAshyakArar" to establish
the shift in emphasis. In doing so, I believe, he was not formulating a
thesis from scratch, from 'tabula rasa', from a clean slate, so to say. You
could say he was pointing to a paradigm shift in Vedantic thinking which
until then had been rather pre-disposed to the "bheda"/"abheda"
tunnel-vision.

If the above is accepted then where does it all lead us to in our
discussions about the "evolutionary" trend of growth in Vedantic ideas?

Sudarshan