(no subject)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 22, 1998

srimathE raamaanNujaaya nama:

Dear Shri.Mani Swamin,

This is regarding the usage of aNNa to call and refer appa. My father
T.A.Srinivasan belongs to Kanchipuram and my mother Srivaramangai
belongs to a village called sErangolam, near Mannargudi. Although we at
home address our father as Appa, we have seen both my father and mother
refer their respective fathers as aNNA. (We have heard several times
"enga aNNa ippadithaan solluvaar etc..). I am not sure about the
etymology of this. I gave this example of my family as it is not only
among Karnataka settled Tamils but even in Tamil Nadu in two extreme
places-one Kanchipuram and one near Tanjore. I am also eager to know the
reasons.( I confess here that it didn't strike me so far till Mani
Swamin kindled to check it. I will also check with them.). What I guess
is that the concept of joint family in those days made the children at
home to follow the usage of their father's brothers and sisters who were
calling their bothers as aNNa.

adiyEn

T.A.S.Vijayaraghavan
XLRI, Jamshedpur, India

> From: Mani Varadarajan
> Subject: words for "father" in Tamil
> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 18:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Are there other members who address their fathers
> as "aNNa" instead of "appa"?  Many Karnataka-based
> Tamil people, including myself, say aNNa, and I have
> heard a few other Tamil people say this.
>
> What do Bhakti list members say?
>
> Mani

Dr.T.A.S.Vijayaraghavan
Associate Professor
Systems & Operations Management Area
XLRI, Jamshedpur,C.H.Area(East),Jamshedpur 831001
India
Phones:(0657)231173,231363,239901(Office)
Res:(0657)239901*651  Fax: (0657)227814
e-mail: tasviji@xlri.ac.in , tasv@hotmail.com
Web Site: http://www.xlri.ac.in/viji.htm