Re: Desika, nyaasa tilakam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 1, 1998

On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 11:27:15PM -0400, Sadagopan wrote:
> Dear Sri Mani Varadarajan :
>
> 1 . To the best of my judgement , "OM " here does
> not represent PraNavam per se , but what it
> stands for in the deeper ananlysis.
>
> It is here " the supreme expression of
> acceptance " , the  symbolic notation for
> the Divya Dampathi's acceptance
> of the BharanyAsam request of Swami Desikan .

Dear Sadagopan Maama,

Here is a belated reply.  I agree, it is clear here
that "Om" has a double meaning.  But it also appears
clear that Desika is cleverly revealing that the word
"Om" is an integral part of the mUla mantra by using
the praNava as a pun in this sloka. In other words,
the acharya's indirect meaning is perhaps actually
more his intended meaning!

Desika's son Varadacharya comments that this sloka clearly
brings out the direct meaning of the ashTAkshara mantra
(mUlamantra) in the same order as the words of the
mantra.  If I read the commentary right, the explanation
is as follows:

"Om" in both the sloka and mantra refers to
one's being a sesha to the Lord, a part of the Infinite
that serves to enhance his glory.  "namaH", according
to the sloka, refers to one's complete dependence on
Him and no one else.  The word "nArAyaNAya" in the
fourth or dative case refers to the highest goal
of existence being service to Him.

   [ ataH paraM mUlamantrasthapadakrameNa Seshatvasahitam
     pAratantryaM prakASya nArAyaNa-padastha-caturthyabhipretaM
     kainkaryarUpaM purushArtham api viSadayati Om iti | ]

Sri Madurantakam T.E. Veeraraghavachariar Swami, in
his Tamil comments, refers to "Om" meaning directly
the praNava:

   mUlamantrattiluLLa mUnRu padangaLaalE muRaiyE
   sEshatvamum, svaatantrya nivruttiyum, bhagavatkainkaryamum
   prakaasikkinRana.  avaRRai idil visadamaaka aruLicceykiRaar.

   lakshmIkaantanaakiya SrIranganaathanE, praNavattil unakkE
 -> seshamivvaatmaa enRadai adE sollaalE "Om" enRu isainduLLEn.
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   "yaanE-enRanadE" enRuvarum ahankaara-mamakaarangaLE ajnaanangaL
   anaittukkum mudal vittu.  avaRRait tuRandEn, nilaininRa
   eNNiRanda ellaiyilaada vibhUtigaLaiyum guNangaLaiyumudaiyIrgaL
   nIyum tirumagaLum.  ungaLukku ekkaalattilum antaranga
   kainkaryangaL ceyyakkadavEn.  ivaRRai adiyEn aayaasaminRiyE
   peRumpadiyaaka aruLavEndum.

	[ entire comment on this sloka (v.30, nyAsa tilakam) ]

I think this sloka, along with the commentaries, demonstrates
that the praNavam as OmkAra has been cited in a publicly
recitable stotra by a pUrvAcArya.

Mani