Re: About Naamams

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 12, 1997

At 12:50 PM 7/11/97 -0600, Smt.Satyan Nagu wrote:

>From: Satyan, Nagu on Fri, Jul 11, 1997 12:49 PM
>Subject: About Naamams
>To: bhakti digest
>
>As I read part 16 on Bhishma Stuthi by Sri Sudharshan, and
>specifically the reference to Sri Bhadrachala Ramadasa's composition,
>I am reminded of other krithis by Sri Papanasam Sivan and Sri
>Purandaradasa.
>
>I am looking forward to Sri Sudharshan's next posting on  the nAma
>"Vijaya SakhE'.

Dear Madam,
Indeed ! You are absolutely right ! Most of the "kritis" of the great
"sangeeta vAggeyakArA-s" center around hailing "bhagavan-nAmA" as
"tAraka-mantram" !

That is precisely the point even modern pyschologists are making in a
different sort of way : that "names" enable child pyschology to come to
"grips" with the external world; and that "names" are very important for the
adult psyche to  preserve its inward sense of identity !

Our mystic saints like the "AzhwArs" and bards like "Thyagaraja or Ramadas"
seemed to have intuitively understood the human mind as well, if not better,
than modern pyschologists and psychiatrists, isn't it ?!

adiyEn/dAsan,
sudarshan