Re: Tamil equivalent for Bhakti (again)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 23, 2002

Dear Sri Venkatesh,

Pardon me for interfering.
The translation given in the message to
'Thondar -adi-p-podi' is likely to throw up new issues
as to what the words 'thondar' and 'thondu' stand for.
These are very much Tamil words and
Thondar-adi-p-podi is not a derivative of any sanskrit term in
popular usage as your message itself reveals.

Thondar in Tamil means  'servant'
but in religious parlance it is always associated with service to God.
A thondar is a Bhagavatha and this term in sanskrit is connected with
Bhagvan and not Bhakti.

By the way can anyone get the exact derivative of the term Bhakti in
sanskrit because any term in sanskrit is  a derivative of the
meaning / thaatparya it stands for(kaaraNa-p-peyar). This might throw
more light on our understanding. Acoording to sri Ramanuja, bhakti is
like 'thaila dhaaraavathu' - like oil that flows steadily from one
container to another container without any 'pisir'. Perhaps the
context (avichinha santhana smruthi rupa) might bring out a better
understanding.

jayasree sarnathan

-- In bhakti-list@y..., Venkatesh Chitoor  wrote:
> Dear all Perumaladiyargal,
>
> Since "Thondar-adi-podi-alwar" translates as:
> 1. Bhakta-pada-bhasma-sant in Sanskrit and
> 2. The mystic who is the dust under the feet of the
> devotees in English,
>
> I say that "Thondar" means "Bhagat" and hence
> "Thondam" would be the Tamil word for Bhakti.
>
> Perumal Sahayam.
>
> Regards,
>
> Venkatesh C.A.
> Tel: 91-22-6702615

__
> Want to sell your car? advertise on Yahoo Autos Classifieds. It's
Free!!