Re: Basics of the three schools of Vedanta

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 2, 2002

--- Mani Varadarajan  wrote:

> Dear Members,
>
> I am often asked what, briefly, are the differences
> between the
> three principal schools of Vedanta.
>
> Dvaita -- the world, the individual self and supreme
> Self are
> fundamentally real and different from one another
> and can never
> be considered "One" in any sense.
..... Each individual's
> bliss will
> differ based on the individual's inherent
> superiority or
> inferiority.

Very true - that includes the jiiva-s that are
eternally in the lowest - with 'anti-bliss'!

> Advaita -- the individual self and supreme Self are
> only
> different by convention. This convention is brought
> about by
> beginningless ignorance, which clouds a true
> awareness of
> reality.

Mani - just simple correction from my understanding of
adviata if you do not mind- ignorence does not really
cover awareness.  One is aware of ignorence too.  It
is 'as though' covers just as we say the clouds are
covering the sun.  clouds can never cover the sun -
infact the very coulds that 'apper' to cover the  sun
are seen in that light of the sun that is covered by
the clouds.

>The Self is not an object to
> be achieved
> through any physical or mental act, so, ultimately
> all action
> must be shunned as being antithetical to awareness
> of reality.

I will be very careful here - even the shunning away
is an action.  Hence what is implied is to recognize
that I am never a doer - while doing is being done in
my presence.  It is the ownership of the action that
is performed by prakR^iti is disowned by the raise of
true knowledge that I am akarthaa and abhoktaa. -
prakR^iti evaca karmaaani kriya maanaani sarvashhaH
yaH pasyati tad aatmaanam akartaaram saH pasyati.

Basic differencea exist in terms of Brahman as
upaadana kaarana or not.  From adviata point because
it is a-dvaita, the cause is only one.

http://sbc.yahoo.com