Re: Treatment of a Jeevathma after his encounters in Sorkam and Naragam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 1, 2002

SrImate rAmAnujAya nama:
asmad sarva-gurubhyo nama:

According to SrI-bhashya, the popular belief that the jIva returns
from heaven  with nill-karma back to the Earth, has been refuted
in Saariiraka-Saastra (popularly a.k.a known as 'brahma-suutra')

See the 3rd adhyaaya, 2nd paada. starting with the following suutra:
   "kRtaatyaye'nuSayavaan, dRshTasmRtibhyaam, yethetamanevam ca"

Here the definitive vedaantic conclusion (siddhaanta) regarding
this matter, according to SrI rAmAnuja is that souls do have
residual karma after they return from svarga (heaven).

Also, not all puNya paapa karma-phala-s are awarded in
naraka or svarga.
For instance, good or bad  dreams experienced right on this Earth,
are also said to be the result of puNya or paapa.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
//Ramkumar

--- In bhakti-list@y..., Varadarajan Sourirajan
 wrote:

> Dear Bhagavatas,
>
> Adieyen has a basic doubt in the treatment of Jeevathma after his
encounters in  Sorgam and Naragam.  As per my understanding, a
jeevathma goes to Sorgam and enjoys the comforts there  in direct
proportion to the  "Punniyams" in his credit.  Similarly he suffers
in Naragam which is also in direct proportion to the "Pavams" in his
credit.  Once this treatment is over, he has a zero balance
of "punniams" and "pavams" and he becomes eligible for moksham, if he
realises and practices the "Artha Panchakam".  But my doubt is where
comes the re-birth of jeevathama again in this "leela vibudhi"  as he
now has a zero balance of "Punniyams" and "Pavams" (They have been
spent or compensated in Sorgam or Naragam).  Is it an oppurtunity
provided by the emperuman to realise HIM and MOKSHAM.