Re: Question from Murali Krishna: Reply to Mani

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 7, 2001

adiyaen@hotmail.com writes:
> >> does a single Sri Vaishnava group gather able-bodied youth
> >> and go do humanitarian service work in a Dalit (or any)
> >> downtrodden or impoverished village?
>
> Yes. There are many unsung Heroes among Sri Vaishnavas doing
> utmost service to the mankind. Let me reproduce an article
> which appeared in Indian Express in March 1998.

I am overjoyed to be corrected by you and Varadhan. I hope
more people take inspiration from these selfless individuals
and extend bhAgavata-kainkarya to all beings.

My revered acharya Sri Rangapriya Swami is fond of quoting the
following sloka as the basis for social service in Vedanta:

    carAcarANi bhUtAni sarvANi bhagavad-vapuH |
    atas tad AnukUlyam me kartavyam iti niScayaH ||

    All beings -- the immobile as well as the mobile --
    are found in the body of the Lord.  Therefore
    let it be absolutely without doubt that one must act
    with their well-being in mind.

To Sri Nadadur Madhavan: Please forgive me for prolonging
this discussion, for I feel it is an important one. We must
fully explore the notion of kainkarya and dharma. Let it be
clear that no particular organization is being criticized or
indicted in this discussion. It is a general topic applicable
to all of us as Sri Vaishnavas.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,