Re: Re: Question from Murali Krishna

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 6, 2001

Respected members:

I would like to spew my thoughts on this topic. Logically,
going back to Sri.Ramanuja and coming from him in every step
from there, it is very true and obvious from the Great
Acharyan's words that Social cause is one among the prime
concerns in SriVaishnavism. If that not be the case, why should
Sri.Ramanuja have overruled his Acharyan's words(breaking some
set standards in the past by people), and tell the charama
slokam to everyone after facing so much of difficulty in
getting it from his Acharyan.(He got it only on his 18-th visit
to Tirukottiyur)
This issue of Social cause has been much stressed by our
Acharyan himself, in order make sure that everyone attains
Moksha, which gives the prime happiness.Thank very much,

Sarve Janah Sukino Bavantu!

Sri Ramanuja Dasan,
Ramanan Rajagopalan

 iruppidam vaikundham vEnkatam * mAlirunchOlaiyennum
poruppidam mAyanuk enbar nallOr * avai thannodum van
thiruppidam mAyan irAmAnusan manathinRavan van
thiruppidam * enRan idhayaththuLLE thanakkinpuRavE.

---- On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Mani Varadarajan
(mani@alum.calberkeley.org) wrote:

> Sri Nadadur Madhavan wrote:
> > Sri Vaishnavism breaks all barriers in reaching out and
serving
> > humanity.
>
> I would like some elaboration on this statement.
> There is no doubt that the acharyas and scholars
> of Sri Vaishnavam do a tremendous service to the
> Vaidika and Sri Vaishnava community, by doing
> grantha-pravacana and administering sacraments
> and providing for temples, food and sambhAvana
> for Vaidikas, etc.
>
> But can this really be described as "breaking all barriers"
> and "reaching out"? In this day and age, are there many
> (or any) Sri Vaishnava organizations that actively reach
> out to all, irrespective of caste, gender, and
> race, and feed, clothe, or minister to the people's
> religious needs? As so many Christian groups do (with
> whatever motivation), does a single Sri Vaishnava group
> gather able-bodied youth and go do humanitarian
> service work in a Dalit (or any) downtrodden or
> impoverished village?
>
> This is what I consider "reaching out and serving".
> Why is it that our people do not do this indiscriminately?
> Or, perhaps they are doing it and I am unaware of it.
> If not, let us not exaggerate our contribution.
>
> aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
> Mani

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more