Re: Question from Murali Krishna

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 6, 2001

Sri Nadadur Madhavan wrote:
> Sri Vaishnavism breaks all barriers in reaching out and serving
> humanity.

I would like some elaboration on this statement.
There is no doubt that the acharyas and scholars
of Sri Vaishnavam do a tremendous service to the
Vaidika and Sri Vaishnava community, by doing
grantha-pravacana and administering sacraments
and providing for temples, food and sambhAvana
for Vaidikas, etc.

But can this really be described as "breaking all barriers"
and "reaching out"? In this day and age, are there many
(or any) Sri Vaishnava organizations that actively reach
out to all, irrespective of caste, gender, and
race, and feed, clothe, or minister to the people's
religious needs? As so many Christian groups do (with
whatever motivation), does a single Sri Vaishnava group
gather able-bodied youth and go do humanitarian
service work in a Dalit (or any) downtrodden or
impoverished village?

This is what I consider "reaching out and serving".
Why is it that our people do not do this indiscriminately?
Or, perhaps they are doing it and I am unaware of it.
If not, let us not exaggerate our contribution.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,