Re: agniravamo...

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 5, 2001

Namaskaaram.

That any particular Deva/Devata is supreme appears in many
places in the Samhita mantras for many Devas/Devataas.
Typically, a Rik devoted to a Deva/Devataa declares THAT
Deva/Devataa as supreme. Ancient Nyaaya shaastrakaaras have
justified this by invoking "nahinindaa nyaaya" - that One is
Supreme does not mean a degradation of any other. When a
devotee or aspirant sees Truth through his/her chosen
naama-roopa, he/she is free to praise and surrender to That
chosen One. This is buttressed by the well-quoted Rik of
meaning something like: Sat (the fundamental unmanifest
substratum) is One, the knowers of the Vedas speak (of It)
as agni, yamam, maatarishwaan...

This in no way is like the Semitic tradition of condemning
anything other than the chosen one.

BhavadIyaH,
-Shambhu