RE: Lost Shlokas of Srimad Bhagavad Gita - TOI Article.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 26, 2000

Uttamoor viraraghavacharya has written an excellent article on this in his
introduction to bhagavadgita.  He states in short, the bhagavadgita as
followed by shankara - ramanuja - madhva is the correct version and the
additional verses whatever are not to be taken as valid but just some later
additions.

adiyen Krishna Kalale

-----Original Message-----
From: Mani Varadarajan [mailto:mani@alum.calberkeley.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 10:10 AM
To: bhakti-list@egroups.com
Subject: Re: Lost Shlokas of Srimad Bhagavad Gita - TOI Article.

> HYDERABAD : Dr.Vedavyas, renowe scholar and former civl servant, was
> awarded the degree of Doctor of Letters ( D.Litt) by the Andhra
> University for the discovery of 45 extra sholkas of the Bhagavad Gita.
> Dr.Vedavyas was also the recepient of a doctorate degree of the same
> university.

It is very surprising that this is big news. I wonder what kind
of background research the authorities of the University did before
granting the D.Litt. to Mr. Vedavyas.

The truth is that for centuries, a Kashmiri recension of the Bhagavad Gita
has been known to scholars, both Indian and Western.  This recension has
45 extra slokas and is based on manuscripts found in the northernmost
part of modern India.  The German scholar Rudolf Otto did a comprehensive
study of these slokas nearly a century ago. In his opinion, they were
genuine, but traditional opinion varies.

Sri Vedanta Desika in the 'tAtparyacandrikA' also cites many slokas that
commentators prior to him included in the Gita.  Sri Desika himself
says something to the effect that 'only God knows whether these slokas
are geniune or not'.  Sri Desika himself prefers to stick to the text
as commented upon by Sri Sankara and Sri Ramanuja, which consists of
700 slokas.

In short, I doubt that Mr. Vedavyas has unearthed anything new; it is
likely that he has taken a new twist on a well-known version of the
Gita, one that was found only in one corner of India.

rAmAnuja dAsan,

To email plain text is conventional, to add graphics is divine.
We'll show you how at www.supersig.com.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6811/5/_/716111/_/964549530/