Re: Help with Bhagawat Gita

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 18, 2000

Chandrasekaran Venkatraman writes:
> 2. I would like to know the Gita dhyAna SlOkam in practice amoung Sri
> Vaishnavas.

I do not if there is one in particular, but I have heard
the great Sri Velukkudi Varadachariar Swami recite the
following before a lecture on the Gita:

  sarvopanishado gAvo dogdhA gopAla-nandanaH |
  pArtho vatsaH su-dhIr bhOktA dugdham gItAmRtam mahat ||

  If all the Upanishads are cows, their milker is the beloved
  of the cowherds, Sri Krishna. Arjuna is the calf, and
  the wise are those who drink the milk which is this
  great nectar, the Gita.

> 3. Can one recite non-consecutive chapters of Srimad B.G during the
> same prayer session ? For eg. suppose adiyEn wants to meditate on
> karma yoga concepts and subsequently those of bhakti yoga, can adiyEn
> recite chap.3 and chap.12 without reciting the chapters in between ?

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules here as long
as you meditate on them with the appropriate meaning.

As far as translations of the Gita go, the only readily
available editions in English that I can recommend are
Swami Adidevananda's with Sri Ramanuja's Gita-bhashya, published
by the Ramakrishna Ashrama and available anywhere where their
books are found, and Sri M.R. Sampatkumaran's translation
of the same.

dAsan,

Missing old school friends? Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/7079/5/_/716111/_/963944124/