Re: Surrender as means to liberation

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 17, 2000

dear bhagavathAs,
Sri Govindarajan's posting of the article that
appeared in The Hindu which mentions about kamba
rAmAyaNam and kamban's emphasis on the aspects of
surrender prompted me to post this response. adiyEn
would like to quote kamban's one single verse, so
beautiful, so profound. no wonder he was called
'kambanAttAzhwar'. most of you will be knowing this
verse, but it sure bears repetition, any number of
times.
"nanmaiyum selvamum nALum nalgumE,
 thinmaiyum pAvamum sidaindu thEyumE,
 senmamum maraNamum inRi theerumE,
 immaiyE rAma enRiraNdezhuthinAl"
meaning: "it will ever bestow all good things and
wealth,all sins and mistakes will get blasted and
diminished, it will put an end to this life - death
cycle, in this birth itself, by just uttering two
syllables 'rAmA' "
imagine, all that you have to do is just utter 2
syllables and liberation is yours! this single verse
perhaps sums up the greatness of the greatest epic of
all, our 'saraNAgathi sAstrA' called rAmAyaNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan narasimhan

--- "T. R. Govindarajan"