Re:Kalai .......

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 7, 1999

Dear Bhagavathas,

Sri. Mani wrote :

>Regarding "rAmAnuja dayA pAtram": this sloka is recited by most
>Sri Vaishnavas who have Vedanta Desika in their acharya
>parampara. By the way, the "rAmAnuja" referred to in this
>sloka is not the famous Ramanujacharya who we all know,
>but Atreya Ramanuja (Kidambi Appullaar), the maternal uncle
>and direct acharya of Vedanta Desika.

Saranagati Journal Vol.01.024 11 Oct 1998, states

     >2. ACHARYA VAMSA VRIKSHAM- Part 25
     >Period I SWAMI DESIKA & HIS TIMES - 5
     >Anbil Ramaswamy

     >OTHER INCIDENTS IN THE LIFE OF SWAMI
     >TANIANS ON SWAMI DESIKA
     >(2) Another one was by his disciple Brahma Tantra Swatantra which
says:- " I salute the great Venkata Natha also
     >called Vedanta Acharya and Lion among poets and logicians and who was
well adorned by both Knowledge and
     >discretion and who well deserved the grace of Srimad Ramanuja":

     >"Sri Ramanuja Daya Patram Gnana Vairaghya Bushanam Srimad Venkata
Natharyam Vande Vedanta Desikam"

     >Anbil Ramaswamy

I guess many of us are under the impression "Srimad Ramanuja" referred here
(and the preceding slokas as well) is indeed Sri Ramanujacharya.

Could Sri. Mani / others explain this in more detail and the basis for
concluding that it is indeed Kidambi Apullar and not Sri Ramanujacharya ?

Regards
Sriram